Subject: Re:Penguins
From: "Mark A Gosine" <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 08:47:26 -0500

>honed-expertly trained  bloodshot eye detected the telltale
     >computer graphics.
     >%^).
     >      Marcus
     >      Cinemagic
     
     >>Hmm. What did your nanometer-wavelength calibrated eye spot that led 
     >>you to believe it was a CG penguin? Everything I saw suggested it 
     >>was real.
     >>If it was a CG job, it was some of the best motion I've seen.
     
     >>Chris - Xenon
     
     The guys did a great job at ILM.  The penguin texturing was A#1. But, 
     I haven't seen an animal animated in CG that the motion didn't belie 
     computer graphics.  The movement was too perfect, and showed the 
     spline controls.  The best we can do with the tools we have available 
     at present is emulate, but not duplicate real-life organic motions.  
     As animators, in the case of the penguin, we should study the live 
     version before trying to duplicate it. I feel sure the guys over at 
     ILM did just that, and it paid off.  Most of the populace won't even 
     know the difference. OTOH most animators can easily spot the CG.  Most 
     of the time- I've missed it on occasion (mostly with mech stuff).
     Heres to years looking at splines and lov'n it!
     
     Marcus
     Cinemagic